10 creative ways to spend time with your family this Fall
2020 has been a crazy year to say the least, and a year full of events that no one expected. I don't know about you but I am looking forward to Fall. I love Fall in the mountains of East Tennessee. The foliage is stunning, the morning air is cool and crisp. My favorite is going to corn mazes and farms where the farmers open up their land to families so they can experience farm life for a day. I know how my family operates day to day, we live in a classic neighborhood and we stay busy with packing lunches for school, working outside the home 40 hours a week, grocery shopping, laundry - the list is never ending so it's nice to see what it is like hanging out on the farm and escape from the stress even if it's for a short few hours.
What is your favorite part about Fall? I encourage you to get outside and experience life this fall. Here are a few of my favorites.
Watch the Stars - take a blankie outside and maybe a telescope if you have it. Teach your kids about the constellations and see if you come across a shooting star. Where I live, it's pitch black. We don't have any street lights or anything. On a clear night, the view is undescribable.
2. Hike a new trail - In East Tennessee, we are lucky to have the Smoky Mountains so close. We have a ton of trails and waterfalls for you to venture on. Find somewhere to venture, grab some water and just go. It's great for your body and mind and I think the kiddos will have a ball.
3. Explore a corn maze and farm - Ask around and check the schedules of your local farms. Many farms around here are open this fall despite Covid-19 but have safety precautions in place like limited tickets, masks on hayrides, etc. I love being on the farm, most around here have corn mazes for all sizes, old fashioned games and toys for the kids, petting zoo, and a hayride up to the pumpkin patch where you can take home your very own special pumpkin. You can also buy additional corn stalks, hay, pumpkins, decor at the entrance.
4. Grab a Fall Treat - In the summer, I like to the family out for ice cream. Well in the fall, take them out for hot chocolate. Find somewhere that offers outdoor seating and just drink your hot chocolate and talk. Cherish the time you have together.
5. Carve a Pumpkin - If you have never done this at least once, you are missing out. Grab a pumpkin and carve it as a family. Have a contest, who has the most creative pumpkin.
6. Shop for a new home for the holidays - it's a great time to shop for a new home. If you get started now, you will be able to decorate and spend the holidays with your family in your new home. East Tennessee is a beautiful place to live, Blount County specifically is great because it's so close to the mountains but convenient to everything. The cost of living is great, weather is mild, people are friendly - there is something for everyone.
7. Family Craft Night - well I can't be the crafty real estate agent and not recommend a family craft night right? Pull out the crafts, make a trip to Hobby Lobby or Micheal's and pick up some crafts. Pinterest is a great resource if you are looking for specific projects. These crafts are things you can treasure for years.
8. Family Game Night - Either take a board game outside on a blankie or put up a badminton net. The weather is great in the fall, take advantage of the outdoors.
9. Take a bike ride - Grab the safety gear, and take off on a bicycle. We have alot of bike trails here in Maryville and surrounding areas or you can just take a ride in your neighborhood if you have that option. I always have fun once I get going, it's just getting started that slows me down.
10. Outdoor Movie Night - Grab a blankie, popcorn and hit the outdoors. We actually still have a drive in movie theater in Maryville or a lot of households have projectors now days. Look into outdoor movie setups. They are actually reasonable in costs and it's safe.
I hope you enjoyed my recommendations, and here's to an amazing Fall 2020.
Btw, if you are thinking about making a move to East Tennessee - give me a call or visit my website.